Deliver Ireland’s 2020 renewable electricity targets more cheaply than doubling onshore wind power:
- – Only limited modifications required to existing plant.
- – No change required to the Irish transmission system unlike doubling onshore wind that necessitates up to €3.5 billion transmission upgrade.
- – No threat to rural heartland industries of bloodstock and tourism
Unlock Ireland’s major potential to supply cost competitive sustainable biomass.
Moneypoint’s biomass needs could be totally met by converting 8% of Irish agricultural land to energy crops.
Guarantee secure, long term demand for Irish biomass creating:
- – More stable income for farmers and forestry. Long term, fixed price contracts for energy crops and forestry offer more stable income than more volatile, traditional sectors.
- – More positive investment in the Irish rural economy than more onshore wind which threatens bloodstock and tourism.
- – A credible, economically effective strategy for Irish agriculture to fight climate change.
Click here to read the full report